Friday, September 14, 2007

Rust

I got the battery out...usual business of pounding, wiggling, prying...and swearing....and there's some rust where it sits in the engine compartment...I've read that's common.

This rust might determine what to do first if the engine needs replacement, which it will if it is too expensive to get running and pass the smog test. More expensive I mean than a new engine.

First, then, would be to have the Bus go to the body shop with the engine out and take care of the rust.

If I can get it running I'll drive it until the snow falls, and if the engine is strong, for awhile longer, into Spring and Summer when the roads clear. But eventually a new engine will be in order, and that's the time, when the old one's out, to have rust taken care of...

Tomorrow I'll haul the battery to the Garage...a bit of a chore as it's heavy! And if they have a new one, hopefully a little smaller!, I might turn the ignition on and see if it runs...I need to baking soda clean the cable connects, and just eyeball the engine and make sure oil level is okay and fuel line and gas...forgot gas...I haven't bought gas for four years! Heck, I'll need a gas can!

It hasn't run for two summers I think...previous owner showed me photos of it over on the East Side, and it looked like two summers ago...when there was snow!

No comments: