Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Gas

Walked over, gas can in hand, and got a gas card, then some gas, then walked back...felt a bit out of place as I haven't bought gas in four years...and put it in the bus feeling a bit guilty...like I sewed a stitch in the fractal fabric of the petroleum guzzlers. How can I walk this walk I've walked so many times past the views of Cook's meadow with a gas can??, I thought (with the familiar tire rolling roar of the the cars going by!!...I've done the gas can walk a few times!).

Put the licence sticker on, the Park permit sticker on, and put the paperwork of insurance and registration in my camel back pack, climbed in and started it up. It was idling fast again, and figured out the gas pedal was sticking, and the idle dropped and quieted down, much as it could, as the muffler is loose. Drove along the dirt road paths...How can I drive on these dirt road paths I've walked so often??, I thought....for a few yards, and thought to go out on the Drive, but tourists were gathered around some deer right there, and loud as the Bus was the deer weren't bothered, and I made a left turn away, checked the brakes a few times, they work!, put it in reverse, backed up and went forward and parked it back where it was!!...thwarted by not wanting to disturb the deer!

It's a travail, it will aways be a travail, it always was a travail, to own and drive an automobile.

Tomorrow I'll puttputt somewhere...I'll drive it a bit everyday about the Valley to see if it is reliable starting up and such...can't go far, only two gallons I'm sure of in the tank. It's sixteen to nearest gas, though I suppose I could get another card. My next weekend I'll go to town for maintenance, and a new muffler!

7.95 gas...

No comments: